Sunday, August 16, 2009

How to pack my life into a suitcase.

It's 5 more days to departure and the pre-departure blues has officially set in. Usually, I will be damm excited about an upcoming overseas trip and i can't wait for it to arrive. However, this time round, the emotion is a mixed one. Part of me wants to go explore the world out there while another part of me dreads the thought of leaving home for 4 months plus. Been spending a lot of time at home and with my family for the past few days as I am not gonna be able to see them for quite some time while I am away. Despite all these negative emotions, I am still reading up on HK and China and the more I read, the more excited I get. So I should just make good use of the last few days in SG before I depart. I guess I wont' really miss things back home as I will be back in a short 4 months. Also, HK is very similar to SG lifestyle so I guess I can adapt strongly there. The sucky part is that I'm gonna have to share a room with someone else and there goes my privacy and alone time. For those who know me well, I had always preferred to spend a certain amount of time alone.

Packing is another chore on its own. How to pack your life into a suitcase and keep it under 25kg seems to be a challenging task for me. I set aside the clothes that I am intending to bring over and I wondered, "Am i over-packing? Do I need so many pieces of shirts?" I always hate to underpack as that would mean scampering around an unfamiliar place for things that you need. However, I really got to make wise choices on what I put into my suitcase so as to keep my bags under the weight limit (hurray to budget carriers). Worse come to worse, I can always buy the things that I need in HK. Whatever you can find in SG, you can almost definitely find it in HK! Right now, all the stuff that I need are in one corner of my room i swear it is gonna be over 25kg. So, it is time to sieve out things that I don't need (or presume that I do not need).

The rest of the stuff are more or less settled. Visa, money. Just that I still do not know which accommodation i am going to get on campus and whether i would be able to do the modules that I want. Well, all these can wait till i get there and get it sorted on the spot. Right now, I should just concentrate on planning my mini holiday in shanghai before semester starts at the end of the month. Well, the excitement is definitely there and I guess it will only kick in full force when I step into the departure hall. Well, that is me. I just have to suck it up, put aside all the negative feelings, take a step forward and everything will be fine. Hopefully, this will be an experience that I will never forget (it is something i have looked forward to since i came into uni). Till then, it will be several attempts to pack my life into my suitcase.

No comments: