Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's cold!

Everyone was telling me Hong Kong will only get cold in December or January and you could practically still be wearing shorts/berms in november. This year, it doesn't seem to be the case. The cold weather from the north moved southwards and places like Hong Kong got really cold. It went down to 8 degree celcius on certain nights last week. While i was in Guilin, the temperature plunged to 4 degree celcius and it was practically freezing cold, especially when the wind blows. Just when I was hoping to come back to sunny HK, I reached shenzhen wearing 3 layers of clothes.

Well, since I thought the weather will not be this cold, I was rather unprepared in terms of clothings. In Guilin, I had to go get myself a scarf and long john as it was really freezing. Luckily I could find these clothings at a really cheap price. Back in HK, I had a few pieces of long sleeves shirt and sweater that I could put on but I couldn't possibly wear the same thing over and over again. On another note, the local students really dress up well for winter. With nice coat, scarfs and leather boots, it really looks like a fashion parade in class (even the guys too!). With all of them dressing up well, I feel pressurised to look well (at least not wear the same thing everyday).

So off I went shopping for more clothes, which would mean more excess luggage charges. UNIQLO is a good choice as the winter collection they had was good and decently priced. However, it seems like the whole of HK is buying clothes as well, so it was utter chaos in the store. Items on the special price rack was strewn all around and it was so hard to look for the piece that you want. Long queues at the cashier as well. Luckily, there wasn't a need to go to the fitting room as we could just put on and try on the spot. Checked out other stores and it was the same situation. Crowded and messy stores. I guess the Hong Kong-ers were also caught by surpirse and needed to get winter clothes earlier than what they had expected.

Buying winter clothings was a hard choice for me. I had to make sure that what I bought can be worn back in Singapore. No point buying a thick and nice looking sweater when it is going to end up somewhere deep in my closet back in SG. Well, one way to stay warm is to wear many layers and take off some layers when necessary.

The classrooms at CU is kind of crazy. Some LTs still had the aircon on during the cold weather and all of us were wearing thick coat in class! They should have turned off the a/c to save energy! Well, at least some building do. Our dorms do not have any heater so sometimes, I had to sleep in long pants/sleeve/ socks under a thick comforter! I had used the inner layer of my comforter as my bed padding before and now, it is being used for warmth. I heard this marvellous way of keeping warm and comfy at night. Before you go to sleep, throw your bedsheet and blanket into the dryer for 5 mintues. Then grab it, run back to your room, put it back onto your bed and jump in to bed! Well, it costs some $$ but I think it is a sure way to keep warm.

The cool weather is kind of pleasant at times. I can walk for a long long time (down nathan road from TST to mongkok) without feeling tired or sweating. The cold breeze could make feel so refreshed. I guess with sufficient clothing, it will be ok.

Well, Beijing is gonna be freezing when I get there so it means more clothes to pack inside my backpack. Think xiamen is going to be cold as well... Well, when i get back to singapore, I am sure to complain about the heat all again!

No comments: